Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bird flu - a media-induced epidemic

Nine people have died so far from the latest bird flu outbreak in China.


Based on a 2011 estimate, China has 1.3 BILLION people. So, 9 dead from the bird flu, out of 1,300,000,000 people. That's roughly 0.000000006% of their population. This is miles away from being in any way statistically significant, or even newsworthy.

More Chinese people have died from sepsis related to biting off a hangnail, for God's sake.


But, that's our media. Not happy unless they're inciting terror in the masses, be it related to overestimated snowfall accumulations, or deadly viruses, it's all the same! BUT, that said, I am all about happiness these days, so I won't fester over this.


Facebook DID ask me what was on my mind, though, and it would have been ignorant not to reply.


...so I did.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!