Sunday, April 3, 2011

Forget the students... when will teachers learn???

Everyone who works for a living has aspects of their job that they enjoy, and aspects that drive them a little insane, day by day by day. This is especially true of those who have to deal with the public.

Often, I've heard - and said - the cutesy remark, "I have a great job - if it wasn't for the patients." It's hard to have a great nursing job without patients, of course! It's just a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that every now and then, like everyone else, I have a bad day when things haven't gone according to plan.

We all have those inside jokes like that, that help to resuscitate that last nerve that someone just jumped all over. As nurses, we used to say that they should have aerosolized Valium in the hospital ventilation system, for everyone's benefit. I don't believe there were any of us who really thought that it was a valid, seriously-considered measure, but it just felt good to fantasize about it.

I have no doubt that there are more than a few teachers who have said at one time or another, "This would be a great job if it wasn't for the students." I don't blame them in the least.

But when it comes to teachers, and their last nerve being trampled, I do have one niggling question...

Why do some teachers think that they will be the ones who are not fired, brought up on charges, and / or arrested, for taping a student's mouth shut?

I am frankly astonished at - #1 - how often this happens, and - #2 - that some (few, admittedly, but still some) teachers still see it as a viable option, even after so many incidents have been publicized, never in the teacher's favor.

This must be an example of inspirational posters on the walls in schools these days:


I would love to know what is going through their minds as they dig in the desk for the roll of tape, walk to the student, peel off 6" of it and go to town. What are they thinking? Do they imagine that none of the other students will notice, or say anything in the schoolyard? Are they stupid as well as temporarily insane?

These teachers who are vulnerable to this (how's this for an understatement...) 'lapse in judgement' should not have access to tape, period. They have that gummy stuff to stick stuff on walls. What do they need tape for, anyway? It's just a teasing torment.

If they have to have it in their desks, it should be in a box marked...


I suppose it's better than having the teacher with the after school duty throwing them under buses...

..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!