Monday, April 25, 2011

Mixmaster Monday

Hello, and welcome back to Mixmaster Monday!


Whoever would have believed that getting a photo of my late Mother's own Mixmaster would be such a difficult thing? One day, one day soon!!

As I promised last week, I am going to post the recipe for macaroons that I got from Chef Ron Cook, who worked with me on the last ship I was on down in the Gulf of Mexico. He didn't make these nearly often enough, but when he did... ahhhh... it was pleasure without passion!!

I got off work early today, and had every intention of making a batch of these, so that I could photograph and post a step-by-step guide, like I did for the meringue mushrooms a few weeks back. However, working the 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. shift has the funny effect on me that, once inside the door, I'm drawn to the couch and into a world of blissful unconsciousness that is next to impossible to resist. So, you're just going to have to use your imagination, and if I ever do get photos to post here, I will announce it in a future edition of Mixmaster Monday, ok? OK!!

So, without further ado, here is the recipe straight from Ron to me to you, for the best, tastiest, chewiest, delicious-est macaroons in the whole wide world. Thanks once again, Ron!!!

Boa Rover Macaroons
Ingredients:

·        1 egg white
·        ¼ can sweetened condensed milk
·        teaspoon salt
·        ½ cup sugar
·        ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
·        ½ teaspoon almond extract
·        3 cups flaked coconut

Preparation:

Grease and flour baking sheets and preheat oven to 300°. In a small bowl , beat egg white and salt until egg white doubles in size. In another bowl put in all other ingredients. With a rubber spatula mix all together, add the egg white. Mix. The mix should be moist but not sloppy.

On the boat I used an ice cream scoop to form the cookies. Place them on the cookie sheet. You can top with a cherry or whatever tickles your fancy. The time in the oven depends on the oven being used.... and every oven is different, but it will take about 15 to 20 minutes, the outside should be browned and not black LOL. You may have to rotate the cookies halfway through cooking. The inside should be moist and dreamy. Wait 'til the cookies have completely cooled before eating. It's a simple recipe; I think the hardest part is waiting for them to cool. That’s how I made the Rover cookies.

So, there you have it, straight from Ron himself. I'm not sure if he meant to say the inside should be "dreamy" or "creamy", but either word works just fine as far as I can tell!
 
He used the cherry on top when he made them on the ship, and they looked so great! They tasted even better, and as you can see, it's not complicated at all. Enjoy!!
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!