Sunday, February 27, 2011

Missing friends...

I haven’t had the opportunity to write a post before when I was chillin’ out (read “drunk”) after a dinner party at my house. The company was great, the wine was wonderful, and all is right with the world! God knows what I’m about to write, because I have no idea!!

I don’t know if it’s the wine speakin’, or if it’s the fact that I’m still adjusting to being 50, but once everyone was gone, I did get a bit melancholy thinking about absent friends.

Living in the era I have, and having taken advantage of the opportunities that I did, I have come to meet and know people from many different parts of the world: the UK, Poland, most all of the Canadian provinces, as well as many throughout the United States.

We, unlike people of earlier generations, are able to keep in touch with our worldwide friends in ways our parents and grandparents could not have imagined. We have email, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Skype, smartphones and other technological advances that still boggle my mind. And as much of a wonderful thing as all of these are, it STILL is not quite the same as sitting across a coffee table from someone, and spending an evening with people you know and like and love.

I had a really great time tonight with the people who were so kind to come and spend an evening here with me and our mutual friends. It was so good that I couldn’t help thinking about the others who I wish could have been here, too.

Sooooo, to all of you, and I hope you know who you are, I just want to let you know that you were missed tonight.

As soon as Facebook or Skype or some futuristic website can organize worldwide dinner parties, I’ll be in line to sign up for one and invite you, you can be sure!

In the meantime, I’ll keep hoping that I’ll live long enough to see you all again, and relive a few of the memories I have of each of you.

{{{{{{{{{{group hug}}}}}}}}}}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!