Saturday, February 5, 2011

Walk like a duck!

It's winter. It's snowy. It's icy. It's a prime time for slips and falls.

However, if my sister is to be believed, and she is, there is a way to lessen the risk of slipping on the icy roads, driveways and walkways that we all must negotiate.

The trick is simple: walk like a duck! Bend your knees a little, spread your feet and point your toes outwards. You'll look like a bloody fool, yes, that's true, but you will still be upright when all those laughing at you are going arse over kettle.

I have no idea where Sister Dear unearthed this gem. Maybe she'll be kind enough to leave a comment, citing her source. Or not. It doesn't matter, though. All you have to do is try it once, and you will see as I have that it really does improve your stability. I guess it's all about lowering and broadening your center of gravity. Whatever. It works, I've tried it, and can attest to it!

So, if you find yourself in the middle of a horribly slippery driveway or walkway, and are sure you're about to fall, try walking like a duck until you're on a bit of dry ground or snow that's not so slippery.

You scoff now. Yes, I can hear you! You think my sister and I are quacked. Pshaw!!

Try it once, and you'll be convinced. Guaranteed!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!