Sunday, January 9, 2011

Thoughts on turning 50

I turned 50 in December, and as anyone who was around to witness the event can assert, I was not real enthusiastic about leaving my 40's behind. I've had almost a month now to get used to the idea. I'm still not liking it much, but I'm hating it a little bit less. Here's why...

There will come a day, God willing, when I am very old and feeble, and I'll look at a picture of me when I was 50, and think, "You were an idiot back then. You still had your life ahead of you! Instead, you were cryin' the blues about turning 50. Grow up!!" 

So, in an effort to grow up, like the older version of me will insist upon in 20 to 30 years time, I'm going to appreciate being 50. I'm going to appreciate the cold reality that people like Princess Diana, who, at the start of her fame had a life many envied and could have had anything she wanted, never got to see 40, let alone 50. I'm going to appreciate that I've had the ability to live an interesting life and, again God willing, there's still a lot more of it to live.

I'm going to focus a little less on the fact that when I was in school and our teacher asked if we had antiques in our home, things over 50, I said, "Yes, my father!!" I will not allow myself to think of myself as an antique!

Yes, there are a lot of things worse than turning 50. And my resolution for 2011 is to remember that very thing, every time I fill out a form where I now have to tick "50+" for my age. *sob* :-)

4 comments:

  1. I know no one better to write A Blog than you.You are knowledgeable in so many area of life. And you speak your mind fairly well.Your Politics,could be a little better.Look forward to checking in on you daily.And I expect we will agree to disagree on a few/many things.Good Luck!!!

    Chris,old shipmate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks old shipmate! I'm really going to try to post daily. If I have been able to write on Facebook that often, then I should be able to here. By the way, I can't wait for Leo's day in court!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, Margaret, Margaret.........

    50 is only a number, 50 really is the new 40........ We have lots and lots of Livin' left to do, places to go, people to see and things to do........
    Have you started your book yet!!!!! "50 Things To Do When You Turn 50".
    I love your Blog, it is very cool and you certainly have your Dear Mother's writing ability......
    Keep it up as I will be checking very frequently.


    Janice,
    Your 50 Year Old Friend, and PROUD of it!!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice, Janice, Janice... (hehehe!)

    Are you proud of being 50, or proud of being my friend? Both, I hope!!! {{{{{big hug}}}}}

    Yes, girl, I'm coming to terms with 50, finally. Fear not!

    I didn't bring my book with me because it would have gotten battered and torn in my travels, but it's my #1 read when I get home.

    Thank you for your kind words about my Dear Mother. Alice said the same thing, and it is high praise indeed. :)

    Keep commenting!! Loves ya to pieces!!
    Margaret, Margaret, Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!