Saturday, January 15, 2011

Two anniversaries today

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of two very different events, one of the passing of a very special lady, and the other of the survival of many.

My friend Karen's mother passed away two years ago today. Her mother was like a mother to me over the years, and her passing was a loss that is still strongly felt. I think of you, and Karen's dad, often, and I hope Heaven is all it's cracked up to be! We will meet again...

The other event, that occurred on this day two years ago, was the improbable, one would think 'impossible', landing of a jet on the Hudson River in New York City, when its engines failed after striking a flock of birds, just after take-off from LaGuardia airport.

Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger was the pilot of that USAirways jet. Once the engines failed, and the jet was without power, he made the awful, awesome decision to attempt to land the aircraft, carrying 155 people, on the Hudson River. Just imagine...

The fact that this plan went so spectacularly right gives me cold shivers every time I think of it. It is one of those news stories that never fails to fill me with genuine awe. And in this day and age, there are so few news stories like that, that I cling to them when I find them.

No, God was very busy welcoming Karen's mom that day. He didn't need to have to deal with those 155 others. There'll be another day for them some day, but not January 15th, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!