Monday, March 14, 2011

Mixmaster Monday

Welcome to this week's edition of Mixmaster Monday!



Between the tragedy unfolding in Japan and the 2nd anniversary of the Cougar helicopter crash this past week, it was just a sucky week all around. To counteract that, I am going to start this new week by injecting a bit of humor in Mixmaster Monday.

While keeping in mind that 'a joke explained is a joke lost', I will try to share a recipe I came upon about 6 years ago, that still makes me laugh, I mean belly-laugh, to this very day!

You may or may not be familiar with the website http://www.epicurious.com/. It's a recipe site, where the recipes tend to be a little on the higher-brow side of the kitchen than where I usually find myself.

Back in January, 2005, I went looking for a spaghetti sauce recipe on this website. I found one, this one, which I saved to the site's recipe box.

The thing about this website is that it will provide a link in recipes to other recipes. This is very convenient. OBSESSIVELY so, in the case of this particular spaghetti sauce. As you know, spaghetti needs to be boiled in salted water. The recipe for this spaghetti sauce included a link to a 'recipe' for boiling salted water. You can see in the image below, in the preparation section, how the words "boiling salted water" are bolded. You can actually click on this link when you're on the epicurious website, and it will tell you how to boil salted water.



... but that's not the funny part.

The thing about most (if not all) recipe sites is that they allow for people to submit their reviews of recipes. Sometimes they're helpful, sometimes they're not. In the case of the "Boiling Salted Water" recipe, though, the 869-and-counting recipe reviews are - almost without exception - knee-slappingly funny!

The 'recipe' itself reads like this...



First off, it offers you the option to print a shopping list for the ingredients for this recipe. HA!!

But, the piece d'resistance are the reviews and comments. There are, as you can see, 869 of them, over 87 pages. When I first found this recipe, there were probably about 350 - 400 reviews. I started reading at the very beginning, and it didn't take too long before I had tears running down my face from laughing! I even added a comment or two myself.

So, if you are in need of a good laugh, I can wholeheartedly recommend to you that you will not be disappointed if you read the comments and reviews of this recipe for Boiling Salted Water. Some are just plain classic! Here is the link to the reviews. I can't make it any easier for you than this.

I do suggest that once there, scroll to the bottom where you can click on the pages and start at the very beginning. It took me a couple of tries to get through them all, but it was well worth it! Enjoy!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!