Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Those bloody helicopters!! Stop buzzing my house!!

I'm getting sick and tired and fed up with Cougar helicopters buzzing my house on an almost daily basis, and only wish I knew what could be done about it.

Yes, I live near the airport. Aside from the helicopters, though, all I ever hear are small, private planes, and those are very infrequent. The runway the small planes use is on a line with my house, and I asked about that before I bought it. It's not the runway the jets use.

The runway location is not even relevent. Helicopters don't require runways. But, for some reason, some of the pilots seem to think they do. When I was flying offshore here, some pilots would lift off and head out. Others would square up on the runway and taxi down, like they were pretending they were flying 747s. Stupid.

They certainly don't require runways when taking off and landing offshore!

In the 10 years I worked out there, NEVER did a helicopter that I was riding in pass over my house. I would have noticed that, for sure. But in the past couple of years, and really in the past couple of months, it's happening almost daily. And some days it's multiple times a day.

They can't tell me in any way I'll believe that it's anything having to do with wind directions or any such blather as that. Does Hibernia's gazillion-ton gravity base structure twirl around to make the helipad more accessible based on wind direction? I think not!

They could come flying in over Clovelly and Stavanger Drive, disturbing no one, if they so choose. But no, they buzz my house, rattling my fillings, making me feel sometimes like I should duck. It's just wrong.

Maybe I'm just more conscious of it since the helicopter crash in 2009. And now, in particular, since the NTSB report was made public basically saying the S-92s are piles of crap, this makes their proximity to my coffee table a little more off-putting, to say the least.

If I ever get a day off during the week again, I will have to make a concerted effort to find out the top 10 numbers of people I can drive insane, to get to the bottom of this.

And, while I'm at it, I'll also ask about the reek of aviation fuel that can be smelled all over the east end from time to time, like yesterday. I don't know what they're doing, but it's as if jets are dumping fuel before they land or something. It's really wide-spread. It can be smelled at my Dad's / sister's house too, not just here in 'd Heights. I dunno.

All I know is that I wish Steve Harper would create a no-fly zone over 52 Branscombe Street. I might even vote for him again, if he were able to pull that one off.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here! Just keep 'em clean, that's all I ask. I welcome differing opinions, but it IS my blog... I'm going to have the last word!!